Monday, June 6, 2011

Who chooses and decides?

(Note: I am posting what I have written/reflected last year on the occasion of the first death anniversary of my brother-in-law and the Celebration of Life of my cousin priest last May 28, 2011.)



The latest revision of my life story for the BCBP Men’s Breakfast deals with choices and decisions.  Our couple sharing likewise carries the same theme. “A morally good act requires the goodness of its object, of its end and of its circumstances together.” This is a clear statement encompassing our life story as cited from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC No. 1760).

Last May 2, 2010 when requested through a short notification time, I was scheduled to share the story of the Lord in my life with BCBP gentlemen at Talisay City in the morning.  A day earlier, I was informed that my second degree cousin who is a Franciscan priest of the Order of Friar Minor (OFM) was admitted to the ICU of Chong Hua Hospital.  Together with my wife, we visited him in the afternoon at about 3 pm.  Contrary to our expectation, he was conscious and easily recognized us.  Nothing to offer except our prayers, we inquired if we can pray-over and lay our hands on him.  I was amazed at how he child-likely prayed with us simple prayers like the “Our Father..” and the slow but meaningful expression, “Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and the hour of our death, Amen.”  With faith and aware that a lot of concerned relatives, friends and parishioners are praying for him, we expect his full recovery.  From that day onward, we included him in my daily Masses and in our BCBP Community’s Saturday Intercessory Prayers that we conduct regularly at home.

Early morning on May 24, my brother-in-law was rushed by his medical doctor daughter with her husband to Velez Hospital.  I failed to drive for them because I arrived home a few minutes late from the 5:30 am Mass I attended.  I learned he was operated on by a brain surgeon.  Additional diagnosis showed he has a 4th degree epithelial cancer.  Until this writing, he remains hooked to the “medical life machines” at the ICU comatose with a very unstable condition.

Now, we have two (2) men to whom we are praying and interceding for.  Although we can not be very specific what to ask the Lord in their behalf, but we are certain the good Lord is preparing them and their respective love ones.

My relationship with my brother-in-law was unpleasant.  During the growing up years of his 3 daughters who were under our parental guidance and care until they academically and socially mature, I tagged their father as the “murderer” of their mother. She died in l987 from breast cancer which I considered basically caused by emotional stress.  A very displeasing comment from him I indirectly heard lately states, “Kung hindi ko kayo pinabayaan, hindi kayo magkaganyan” referring to their present status.  Indeed, this is an actuation of a very irresponsible father to his struggling daughters.

The May 28 Gospel of the day (Mk 11:11-25) struck me.  It relayed the message about “praying with faith, hope and love” and “forgiveness from transgressions”.  Judy and I visited and prayed for him the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.  We asked him to let go and “die in peace” but he is holding on.  We worry about the financial liabilities he is leaving behind.  Because our nieces are indifferent and do not mind us in their present predicament, we simply allow them to experience and learn to mature spiritually.  Choices and decisions are up to them for their comatose parent.  Silently, this is my concerned comment, “until his last breath, he is indeed negligent”.

When we transferred hospital, I discovered my cousin priest was well-taken cared of by 4 parishioners trained to be ‘caregivers’.  He was moved to a private room with all the “life lines” and dialyzing machine.  He was very conscious.  In fact, he kept on asking God to take him soon because he has suffered enough considering the physical pain and counting the exuberant or excessive medical bill.

With these 2 circumstances, we are reminded by Article 2278 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) that assures everyone involved, “Discontinuing medical procedures that are burdensome, dangerous, extraordinary or disproportionate to the expected outcome can be legitimate; it is the refusal of “over-zealous” treatment.  Here one does not will to cause death; one’s inability to impede it is merely accepted.  The decisions should be made by the patient if he is competent and able or, if not, by those legally entitled to act for the patient, whose reasonable will and legitimate interests must always be respected.”

To our 3 nieces, we pray for their enlightenment to come up with the wise decision regarding the fate of their dying father who is under their hands.

Personally, I pray, “Jesus, let death come to me as a gentle friend to sit and linger till you call my name. Amen.”  nmg

 “Where there is great love, there are always miracles”. – Willa Cather

“We know not what the future holds, but we know who holds the future.” – Willis J. Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment