Friday, February 11, 2011

Prayer and goal-setting

The terms prayer and goal are 2 keywords dealt with during our 2 sessions of our action group/prayer meetings for January 2011.  Judy and I hosted the first gathering (Jan 10) at home. As prayer leader, I discerned and selected the Letter of St. Paul to the Philippians (Phil 4:4-8) for reflection.  We employed the ‘group response method’.  I was awed by the unusual silence of the group as if in deep meditation upon our opening prayer inviting the Lord, allowing ourselves to look back to the year that was (2010) in relation to our commitment to prayer. The stillness was broken with the arrival of the Lanticse couple sharing their closed contract with a multimillion project in Luzon.  The serious that turned lively assembly closed with a collated message, “Rejoice always and pray with thankful hearts keeping in mind what is truthful, holy, just, pure, lovely and noble.”

The second meeting (Jan 24) was hosted by Ate Cora Ongos with our action group leader, Kuya Robert Lim leading.  We were a little bit late because we attended first to a family concern.  I was astounded that the verses for reflection were from the previous verses of our earlier meeting.  This time Phil 3:12-16 was presented. Amazingly, from the Christian Community Bible, the term goal appears 3 times.  The afternoon of the day before (Jan 23), was enlightening and strengthening with the family and our guest, Ate Exal Grape’s attendance to the seminar on the “Power of Goal-setting”.  That was our second UNO Special Training (UST) conducted by our new-found friend and wealth coach, Chinkee Tan.  What a coincidence!! “Coincidence is God’s way of protecting His anonymity” (Yancey. Prayer. p. 105).  However, as renewed Christians, I consider it Divine Providence.  I was very enthusiastic to share the lessons I learned.  I pointed out my present activities and my personal and our family plans  (short, medium and long range).

Accordingly, only 3% of 100 graduates in Yale University (1953) set their goals and only this 3 were very successful. In a worldwide scene, the super powerful countries have set their goals.  In my opinion, the political and even religious leaders of our country must consider goal-setting for the common good instead of creating abundant legislations.

Upon self-examination and considering my past experiences and circumstances conforming with religious beliefs, tradition and culture, I have set my limitations to the level of being satisfied with what I have become.

Being afraid to fail or the fear (false expectation appearing real) to set ambitious goals are simply removed because I have a strong faith in our Rich God who answers and provides avenues or means for the realization of my ambitious dreams.  “Dreaming costs me nothing except a good sleep.”

Thought-provoking and mind-boggling are the main items of Chinkee Tan’s talk on “Patience develops God’s overflow” being a pastor in an entirely separate venue.  I am challenged to develop my attitudes: a) to be patient, b) to wait for the yield and c) to stand firm.  Sowing and reaping are 2 major/literal activities that are also true to any other human undertaking.   The activities in between constitute the waiting which could basically be devoted to prayer, “a cooperation with God that opens the way for Grace to work.”  Associated with prayer and goal-setting is to be consistently constant. nmg

No comments:

Post a Comment