Saturday, February 5, 2011

In their name . . . (July - Sept 2007)

“God calls each one of us by name.  Everyone’s name is sacred.  The name is the icon of the person.  It demands respect as a sign of dignity of the one who bears it” (Catechism of the Catholic Church [CCC] 2158).

As expectant parents, Judy and I were thrilled and very excited with the coming of our first baby.  Expecting a boy, I was ready with “Richard” as a very memorable name I wanted to retain.  A Franciscan brother in-charge of the working students during my high school days provided me rays of hope to pursue my aspirations in life.  In the dedication page of my master’s thesis, I wrote, “This piece of work is humbly dedicated with reverence in memory of a great philanthropist, an unforgettable character and a sincere friend, Bro. Richard Kloster, OFM.”

Contrary to my expectation, God granted us a baby girl.  Judy was ready with St. Colette’s name.  I personally filled-up the certificate of live birth.  I made sure of the correct spelling.  I added “Easter” because she was born on a Good Friday in 1981.

Four (4) years after, our second child was born.  Another girl and again the name I reserved was inapplicable.  Judy did not prepare for a name and so I readily filled-up “Marianne Claire” because 1985 was a Marian Year.

As a responsible couple and considering our financial capacity to raise our two (2) lovely and stress-relieving daughters, we decided to stop longing for a boy.  Moreover, I felt and shared the difficulty of child-bearing and giving birth. 

Dormancy lasted for ten (10) years.  Eventually, our only son, their only brother was born when Judy and I were a year old with the Brotherhood of Christian Businessmen and Professionals (BCBP).  There were already four (4) of us who were excited with the arrival of the most recent model of God’s creation in our home.   He is the third among God’s supreme gifts of our marriage.  During that time, Colette and Marianne were already 14 and 10 years old, respectively.  They were given the privilege to give the name of their longed for brother.  “Francis John” was conceived in their young minds.  Unknowingly, they completed the full name of St. Francis of Assisi, Francesco Giovanni.  “Giovanni” is the Italian name equivalent to “John”.

The name “Richard” may have not been used among our limited number of children but he remains in my heart and mind as long as I live.  I wish him to be the first person I will meet in Heaven.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) declares, “In Baptism, the Lord’s name sanctifies man and the Christian receives his name in the Church.  This can be the name of a saint, that is, of a disciple that has lived a life of exemplary fidelity to the Lord.  The patron saint provides a model of charity, we are assured of his intercession” (CCC 2156).

The names of our children are derived from saints.  Being associated with the Franciscans, St. Francis, St. Clare and St. Colette are with our children.  In their name, our home is spiritually provided and guided.  From the book, “The five people you meet in heaven” by Mitch Albom, I learn that “the home is the secret of heaven.  That each affects the other and the other affects the next and the world is full of stories but the stories are all ONE”.   

Finally, inspired by a religious quotation, I say: “To dwell above with saints we love, that will be grace and glory.  But to live below with saints we know, well, that’s another story!” nmg

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Bro for sharing your life reflections. Reading them was a real treat. They came at a time when I needed a push to sustain our enthusiasm to serve. God has certainly given us the opportunity to continue what we have been doing in Visca - singing in the church choir, working with brothers and sisters in the CFC community, and just lately, serving the Filipino Chaplaincy in Wellington as council secretary. More power and hope you will continue to write to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your inspiring comments,Bro. Congratulations and more power to your social and spiritual involvements in Wellington. Sorry for my ignorance,is it in Australia or New Zealand?
    Again, I say that no yardstick can measure the joy and inspiration I am getting from you. Please connect me with your friends for us to strengthen the "web of life".

    ReplyDelete