Sunday, April 15, 2012

Finding God in All Situations

The BCBP Consolacion Chapter conducted our Lenten Recollection last April 1, 2012 at the Mission Society of the Philippines (MSP), Tayud, Consolacion, Cebu.  The topic we dealt with was “Finding God in all situations”.


I presented the historical perspective of finding God.  From the early Christians to the present with Vatican II, I discovered a transition from being “martyrs to witnesses”.  The recent Age of the Laity (Vatican II) when the laymen and religious are equal in the eyes of God, we witness or share our encounters with the living God, finding Him in all circumstances and situations in our lives.  In the sharing portion, I presented the most recent encounter or “finding God” in the events that happened in March. 

Judy and I shared as a couple in the joint breakfast fellowship of BCBP Consolacion last March 10, 2012. The latest edition of our life story is titled, “Walking the extra mile, our personal vision and mission”. It was well-attended and graced by the presence of 4 “first timers”: a couple from California, U.S.A who was interested with our virgin coconut oil (VCO) and a Franciscan sister who is my cousin together with a catechist friend.
 
God rewarded us with a 6-days (March 12 – 17) rest and relaxation to the largest city in the Philippines, Davao.  It was freely granted through the generosity of the Dipon Family.  It was a grace-filled family bonding to celebrate a weeklong golden birthday anniversary of Preciosa, Judy’s younger sister.  Amidst the fun, thrills and adventures gainfully spent in Seagull Mountain Resort to have tasted for the first time the exotic sizzling ostrich meat and the excitement of catching tilapia with the hook and line at the fishing village of Eden Nature’s Park, I was called by God to serve as an inspirational speaker of the elementary graduation in my hometown.  That unexpected call was through Ms. Florence C. Valoria, my young, pretty and smart cousin who is one of the advisers of the graduating pupils.

As I read Finding Oprah’s Roots, Finding Your Own by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and with my desire to be connected globally, I thought going back to my barangay is a great opportunity to be reunited with relatives and friends back then.  I readily and unconditionally confirmed the invitation without considering the fact that the date coincided with the high school graduation of our only son, Francis John. I was caught in a dilemma because my wife was angry over my decision making me guilty with my eventual absence. I did not argue with her but instead asked God for a solution.  Upon fetching our son from an overnight retreat of the graduating HS students of the Sotero B. Cabahug Forum for Literacy at Don Bosco in Talisay City, I asked his permission.  He readily agreed.  Later, I was informed about a rescheduling to an earlier date of the graduation where I was invited.  I praised and thanked God for arranging my schedule that no one in the family was emotionally hurt.

Arriving a day earlier, I went to the school with my brother-in-law whose eldest daughter was among the graduating pupils. We volunteered to assist them in their stage decoration.  I met and had informal fellowship with a number of teachers. Ms. Violeta Cerna-Senadjan was an elementary classmate.  Ms. Ma. Bella S. Bertulfo and Ms. Elisa N. Alvarico were under me in General Horticulture during their College days in ViSCA.  Ms. Gina Cerna-Alayon and Ms. Chyril F. Bandalan are my nieces who were still young kids when I was around. I discovered a lot of physical and economic improvements in the surroundings. The usual classroom is now a class-home.

Feeling at home, I felt confident to deliver God’s message for their graduation and promotional ceremonies.  However, I was troubled with the impending rain with the presence of thick rain clouds.  Early morning (graduation day), I whistled hard together with my youngest brother to blow the rain clouds away but no wind responded.  It was our practice many years ago to whistle for the wind to blow when we were winnowing to separate the chaff from the filled rice grains with the absence of the rice thresher and blower.

When we left the house to walk for a little less than a kilometer down the venue together with my 2 graduating nieces, drizzles or droplets of rain started to fall.  Fortunately, we arrived without getting wet. The heavily pouring rain altered the graduation schedule to half an hour late. Upon arrival of the principal and supervisor, I asked their permission to lead the community in prayer. We petitioned for a fair weather that the rain stop for the processional to go on.  In less than 30 minutes, our prayer was answered to the amazement of everyone present. Teachers, Ms. Elisa Alvarico (Grade II) and Mr. Dennis Lopez (Grade VI) were busy wiping the plastic chairs dry for the graduating pupils and their parents. I realized how important it was for a long, meaningful and picturesque march for the parents and the graduating pupils that the teachers did not opt for a covered basketball court for an inclement weather.  I admire their expectant faith.

The graduation and promotional ceremonies were generally successful.  However, when my part came after Ms. Valoria introduced me, the rain commenced. At the climax of my speech, heavy downpour associated with blowing wind shattered the leaves of the large mahogany tree in front of the stage. Everybody took shelter except a small number who were left with their umbrellas open. Jokingly, I commented, “Only these few who remain will reach their goals..!”  And the teachers readily justified, “.. because they are the honor students!”.  I ended with the promise to post my inspirational talk in my website titled with their graduation theme, “Your gift of learning, our tool for nation-building”.

These most recent encounters with the Lord through the simple but meaningful events in my life are revelations or my version how I “find God in all situations”.  In fact, when I was delivering my speech, I sensed He was telling me, “This is My Time, My Showtime!! Cool ka lang!” nmg           
        

No comments:

Post a Comment