Monday, January 31, 2011

Why do I write? (June 2010)

Before being stripped off my sanity, I continue to write deliberately purely personal circumstances and reflections.  Basically, my aim is to build an ALTAR for the Lord.  It is the acronym for (A) adoration, praises, honoring and glorifying my God; expression of my (L) love for Him, my fellowmen and myself; grateful (T) thanksgiving for the blessings; persistent (A) asking for the realization of my personal mission statement and being (R) reconciled according to God’s plan for me.

I believe that I am one of the 5th Gospel writers “by the deeds that I do and the words that I say”.  Moreover, I consider these documents as “my intellectual capital, the currency with which I communicate; relate with those around me; do business; express my full range of feelings from anger to love; create my personal literature; persuade; influence; guide others and finally, direct my own life” (Buzan,T. 2005. Mind Map Handbook).

I may have not been endowed with material blessings to be inherited by my children.  The only treasure that serves as a living legacy that keeps me alive in their heart and mind is the documentation of my whole being.  The positive encouragement of spiritual, official and personal friends is inspiring.  I gladly acknowledge with a healthy pride the moral boosting remarks of my direct superior, our head of the Department of Horticulture, at the Visayas State College of Agriculture (ViSCA, Baybay, Leyte) when I was still employed until 1992 before my voluntary resignation. Dr. Rebecco M. Santiago holds a Ph.D. degree in coconut physiology specializing in “tuba” or toddy production.  He was my roommate at Schuyler House in Cornell University, Ithaca, New York during a study tour to the USA and Costa Rica, Central America (Summer 1984).  He was and will continue to be my mentor.  His penmanship is steady as firm and balanced as he signed above his printed name.  I secretly admire his literary skill along with his elder brother, the late Mano Odô.  In his retirement, I know he is busy writing and compiling his poetry.  Both Santiago brothers have written their respective literary works.  In due time, I expect to read their full-blown books.

When I submitted to him samples of my “reflective articles”, the following are his valuable and stimulating comments:

  • The articles are replete with thanks, praises and glorification of God’s infinite goodness, wisdom and power.  You are good at establishing the relationship of Divine Power to humanity;
  • Titles are eye-catching and the literary tone are instructive, enlightening and reflective of your firm belief and immovable faith in God;
  • You are honest and straight-forward in putting across your message.  You hide nothing about yourself and are dauntless in revealing your transient soured relationship with your wife, children, parents and in-laws.  Only a person with a clear conscience and humility and therefore close to God – is capable of doing such fearless exposure;
  • As a person of humble beginning, your writings and other religious and humanitarian efforts in particular and your chosen direction in life in general are praiseworthy;
  • I am amused with your description of earthworms and soil microorganisms as “underground subversive elements”.  How about euphemistically calling them as “unsung subterranean heroes”?  Without them, conventional method of growing crop-plants would have been impossible, di ba?; and
  • Keep up the good work.  I am proud to be your friend.    

Indeed, the above touching comments are fabulous, amazing and spirit-filled that keep me on “reflective writing”. nmg

No comments:

Post a Comment